Be Heart Healthy
September 7, 2015
For the month of September, Kirby are supporting the Irish Heart Foundation’s ‘Heart Month’ by raising awareness of how to reduce your risk of heart disease.
Good health is vital for safe and productive working environments and Kirby encourages all staff to take good care of their health.
This week we are focussing on simple tips for a healthy heart:
- Be Active for at least 30 minutes, five days a week.
- Eat a Healthy Diet – eat more fruit, vegetables and wholegrain foods.
- Eat Less Fat, fries and convenience foods. Eat fish at least twice a week.
- Manage your weight – be more active and eat a healthy diet.
- If you smoke, try to stop – the risk of heart attack is reduced by half, one year after quitting.
- Drink less alcohol – no more than 11 standard drinks per week for women and 17 standard drinks for men.
- Enjoy life – learn to relax. Take time out for yourself and keep in touch with friends.
- Have regular checks for blood pressure and cholesterol with your family doctor.
- Know your family history and know the signs and symptoms of heart attack and stroke.
Kirby awarded prestigious NISO award